- ALWAYS work backwards from the known (yourself) to the unknown (forebears)
- NEVER believe everything on a Birth, Death or Marriage certificate
- NEVER completely trust the spelling of surnames, place names etc
- ALWAYS check surname variants when researching
- ALWAYS have at least two separate sources of proof for each event
- REMEMBER that everything is only speculation until verified
- ALWAYS photocopy certificates and important documents and leave the originals in a safe place
- IF a document exists, read it!
- JOIN at least one Family History Group, Genealogical Society or Historical Society
- SHARE your information and documentation (copies only) with other researchers.